Thursday, April 28, 2011

Potentially the Last Meeting... But Hopefully Not!


            So, Young and I met again last week. We decided to meet in the Rec again since that worked out nicely the last time. This time around, Mr. Luke Hockett decided to join us! Just like last time, this meeting was much more comfortable and fun for the both of us! It is so refreshing to be able to really see how our relationship has developed over the past couple of months. Unfortunately, Young and I did not get to meet as often as I would have liked. However, the time we did get to spend together was an amazing experience that certainly taught me so much and has made me grow as a person.
            It was so nice to see how excited Young gets when we hang out. We spent the entire game of pool high fiving or hugging after good shots, and sharing lots of laughs after the not so good ones. As fun as all of this was, my favorite part of this visit was what we did after we finished playing pool and after Luke left (no offense, Luke). After our second game of pool, I was thinking it was about time to head out. However, Young asked me something that I was not expecting.
Instead of the usual, slightly awkward goodbye, she asked me if I had some extra time to stick around and help her with her homework. I was delighted! At first, I was not sure what kind of homework she was talking about, and even if I would be able to help her; but that did not stop me from excitingly agreeing. We went over to a couple of couches by the pool tables and sat down where a small wooden table was. Before she did anything else, she unzipped the small pocket of her backpack and pulled out two small pieces of candy. They were a type of South Korean candy. She offered me one and I took it gratefully. At first, I was a little concerned how this would taste. It was unlike any other candy I have tried before, but it tasted delicious! When I expressed to her how much I enjoyed it, she was ecstatic and pulled out four more candies and gave them to me!
I told her that she didn’t have to do that, but she insisted I take the candy. After this, she pulled out her thick English workbook and a pencil from her backpack. I was thrilled to see that it was only English that we were going to be working on. She flipped to the page of her assignment and explained in the best English she could what she was supposed to do. There was a short essay she was to read and then about twenty multiple-choice questions pertaining to the grammar in the essay. I let her read the essay out loud and then, one by one, we went over each question and considered the best possible answers.
I have to admit, this assignment was more difficult than I thought it would be. I always forget how insanely complicated the English language is. There were a few questions that even threw me for a loop. I am certainly thankful to have been raised in an English-speaking household with a strong education in English. Working with Young really made me consider how difficult and challenging this whole experience of being in the United States must be for her. She did not know any English when she came here, and to see how well she has picked up the language so quickly is extremely impressive. I definitely admire her courage and perseverance she has shown through this adventure.
Fortunately, I was able to help her complete the assignment, and she was so thankful! It felt so nice to be able to help her. I definitely feel as though we have both been able to benefit from our meetings. Even though the first couple meetings were a little rough, these last two have been extremely rewarding. I am hoping that we will be able to meet one last time before I leave for home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment