Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Hills Like White Elephants"- I love this story!!


I have read "Hills Like White Elephants" at least three times now, and each time it gets better and better. I remember the first time I read it in tenth grade, and I was not sure what to think about it. I thought it was odd, and I definitely did not understand what was going on. At this point, my English teacher was extremely modest, and rather conservative, so discussing this story was a little awkward. However, this also made it entertaining. I’m pretty sure I did not understand the meaning behind this story until my teacher uncomfortably brought up the topic of abortion. I remember that initially, I was confused as to how abortion had anything to do with this story. However, as we more closely read the text, I began to notice things that I did not originally.
            This is my all-time favorite Ernest Hemingway story. I love how Hemingway characterizes both the man and the woman in the play. For the man, the abortion is not a big deal. He seems so detached from the topic, not thinking about how it would affect “Jig.” The girl on the other hand, keeps going back and forth between wanting to talk about the subject and wanting to completely avoid it. She is much more hesitant when it comes to having the surgery. It is almost as if she is going back and forth between choosing to keep the baby, or choosing to keep the American. I think it is interesting how she is trying her hardest to confirm with the American that he will still be around and love her after and if she has the surgery. She seems so unwillingly dependent on the American.
I love how Hemingway develops these two complex characters without giving them names. However, he does give the woman a nickname. I believe this supports the readers’ perception of the man. The fact that he is almost forcing the woman to have the surgery done in such an unsympathetic way sort of creates this evil character image. Because he is not given a name, he is even less personal to the readers. Although the woman is not given a name, she is given a nickname, which in many cases makes her even more personal than she would be if she just had a name. We usually don’t call people by nicknames unless we are closer to them, or at least on a friend level. Hemingway immediately puts us, the readers, on that personal, friend level with “Jig.”
Last but not least, I love the way Hemingway uses “white elephants” as part of the opening dialogue between the two characters. Even though the woman is describing the hills in the distance, we immediately realize that there is something present between the couple acting as a true white elephant. We also immediately get a taste for the man’s personality and attitude towards the whole situation when he responds with, “I’ve never seen one,” referring to her comparison. We know that he is uninterested and extremely unsympathetic. I am so happy that we read this story- I love discussing it!

3 comments:

  1. I’m with you in loving this story – it’s my favorite Hemingway story thus far! Hemingway’s characterization of the man and woman is part of what really pulls me in. I think you say it perfectly when you write the woman is “so unwillingly dependent on the American”. There is a strength about her, yet the time and situation render her helpless – that combined along with her given nickname (as you blogged about) definitely enables me to connect with her on a more personal level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah, Great posts. I appreciate the time you took to comment on your conversations, excursions, and readings. I am glad you found the Modern more entertaining than you originally thought it would be. Museums are most often worth the tour when we finally get done. I was also shocked by the racist ad you found in Time. That is definitely something not seen today. Thanks for meeting with Young. I know it's not easy conversing when there are language barriers, but I appreciate your attempts. I am not sure what advice I can offer. There are no easy formulas to follow except to be patient and to try to have fun. You might ask her to bring a friend next time. I think she probably was worried and asked her instructor for "conversation topics." Not a good sign. I am pleased that you have enjoyed the EH stories. They are intriguing and provocative. "Hills" truly is a great story. I am glad you liked it. Good stuff. dw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah,

    It's great how excited you are about this short story. It was one of my more favorite Hemingway stories, once I figured out what it was talking about. The first time I read it, I did not pick up on any of the details that hinted at it. The way that you Hemingway's characterization of the American and Jig is spot on.

    ReplyDelete