Monday, May 2, 2011

What a Pleasant Surprise!


            I feel like a lot of times, people say they are not very easy to surprise. I am the complete opposite. It is not that I am completely clueless, or that I am not nosy (because, honestly, I can be pretty nosy at times), but I am so easy to surprise because I am never expecting to be surprised! Surprises are just not a big part of my life; that is why when my parents surprised me with my new car, I was absolutely beside myself.
            I remember it was August 12, 2009. It was another steaming, hot summer day in Dallas just before my senior year in high school, and my dad, mom, sister and I were getting ready to go out to lunch together. I was already exhausted because I had four hours of field hockey practice just before. With me being the first one ready to go, which was quite a rare occurrence, my mom asked me if I could go out front and get the mail before we left. Not thinking anything of it, I walked up to the front door, turned the cold, golden colored lock to “unlock,” and stepped out into the roasting heat. I slowly strolled down my front sidewalk when I suddenly heard the front door open behind me. I turned to see who it was, and to my surprise, saw my mom standing on the porch with her video camera in hand.
            “Mom! What are you doing? Why do you have the video camera?” I remember asking, completely confused.
            Then I saw my dad come out behind her with a white headband with a sparkling pipe cleaner halo on top of it and a sign that I couldn’t quite make out. He came up to me and put the headband on my head and the sign around my neck.
            What the heck is going on? I remember thinking. Just then, I turned around to face the street once again and everything seemed to go in slow motion from there. I saw a clean looking black SUV turn the corner onto my street. It took me a few seconds before I realized that I knew the driver behind the wheel. Lauren, my sister, pulled the car up to the sidewalk in front of our house. I stood there, completely still, trying to put it all together. Why was my sister driving this random car? Why was my mom filming me? Why was my dad putting weird things on me?
            “Holy crap.” I managed to mutter under my breath. “OH MY GOSH!” I yelled, much louder this time. My mom and dad started to chuckle behind me as my sister stepped out of the gorgeous, brand new Toyota Rav-4. I was completely speechless. That amazing car was for me.
            I turned around, still in the same spot as before, and looked at my parents with tears in my eyes. I could not believe that they would surprise me with something as big as this. I was still speechless as tears now streamed down my face. I was engulfed in a happiness that is unexplainable. I was so grateful for what they had done.
            As I slowly began to get the feeling back in my legs, I ran up to my parents and attacked them with a bear hug. I then managed to make out what the sign around my neck said. “You’re almost 18… Happy birthday!” I was ecstatic. After I finished with my family hugfest, I finally got the nerve to jump into the driver’s seat and try out my new baby! That was by far the best lunch I had ever eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment