Thursday, March 10, 2011

"The End of Something" and "The Three-Day Blow"



            Firstly, I would like to say how much I am enjoying reading Hemingway’s short stories. Before this, I had only read a couple of his stories, which I also enjoyed. There is just something about his writing that is especially enjoyable. I think the fact that they are extremely easy to read helps, but it surprises me how interested I am in them. Usually, I don’t like short stories unless they are packed full with action and plot. However, some of Hemingway’s stories are not, and they still catch my attention.
            The details in his stories are awesome (for lack of a better word). I love the description of the setting in all of his stories. The way he describes the location, weather, and appearance of the situation is one of the main aspects that get me hooked on the story.
I loved how this pair of stories connected with each other.  Although it was sad, “The End of Something” managed to still be calm and rather relaxing to read. The same goes for “The Three-Day Blow.” I think the setting had much to do with that. It’s as if the two stories occurred during consecutive seasons. If I had to guess, I would say that “The End of Something” occurred right at the end of summer whereas “The Three-Day Blow” is set during the beginning of fall (as stated in the story). The seasons also seem to correlate with the tone and plot of the stories. Nick is ending something with Marjorie just as summer is ending. Although Nick is getting over Marjorie in the second story, he is beginning of new time in his life, a new type of freedom, just as fall is beginning.
Another reason I enjoyed this couple of stories is because I love how “The Three-Day Blow” continued the development of the character, Bill, who was introduced at the very end of “The End of Something.” The last minute introduction of Bill left me confused and wondering who he was and what his relationship with Nick was. A lot of authors would leave the reader hanging on this note. However, thanks to the second story, Hemingway continued this relationship between the two. It was quite a humorous relationship as well. I’m not sure if Hemingway intended for it to be, but I certainly enjoyed it. The way it was written, it was as if I was getting drunk with Nick and Bill. Because it was mostly dialogue, we were taken through the process of the two getting drunk by observing their random conversation and emotions.
Hemingway also gave us an idea of their age without blatantly stating it. It was obvious that the two were not young boys because there was talk of Nick and Marjorie being engaged. However, they are not adults either. Bill constantly references his dad, and how he won’t mind if they get drunk. Bill also still lives with his dad, who is an artist.
The one thing that I was unsure about in this story was the ending. Hemingway left me feeling a little uneasy with the two boys wandering off with shoguns after they had been drinking. Guns and drunkenness is not the best combination. All together, I loved this couplet! Hemingway has yet to disappoint me in his stories.

1 comment:

  1. It is comical reading your first two paragraphs because I literally just read one of Chelsea's blogs talking about how she was not enjoying reading Hemingway's stories anymore because of all of the detail that he gives in them. It is so interesting to me how people can think such different and opposite thoughts or get opposite reactions from the same story or work of art or experience.
    Like you I really enjoyed reading these two stories. I like how they are more connected than the rest of Nick's stories. They are as if they are an actual sequel to the next. I wish Hemingway had done this more times in his writings.

    ReplyDelete